Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Elementary School Years

At an early age I was never diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) or anything else.  I grew up the slow witted chubby boy who was always picked on.  I was the kid who was picked last when sides were drawn.  

I was always with the slow group in class.  I had to go to special math and reading classes.  I'm not stupid by any means I just learn at my own pace.  I'm the day dreamer.   When people are talking, I'm thinking about something else.  I'm very impulsive too.  When the teacher's would ask the class a question, I would just blurt out the wrong answer.  Which always made me look like a fool.

As a kid with Add, I was impulsive, impatient, and short tempered.  Add the fact that I was fat, slow, and a day dreamer it made it easy for everyone to make me the fool.   Yet, because I wasn't hyper active, no one checked me for Attention Deficit Disorder(ADD).

One the other hand my younger brother who was hyperactive was diagnosed with ADHD.   Today I can tell you it runs in the family.  Looking back at my family both my mothers and fathers side, everybody has Attention Deficit Disorder to some degree.   And yes our children have it too.  

I turned in to the shy quite guy who was afraid to open his mouth and be put down for saying the wrong thing.  On the other hand I had and still have a short temper.

I remember back in elementary school. We all had planned for weeks on having an end of year party.  But, teacher got sick and was out the last week of the year.  I don't remember what started it.  I just remember chasing the substitute teacher around the classroom with a chair over my head.   Maybe I was 9 - 10 years old.

I was sent to the school Psychologist.  Which you think would of turned up something.  Yeah Right!  My Mother took me to her Psychiatrist.   The man was useless, which explains why my mother was hooked on Valium.  

It wasn't until I was in my thirty's and saw a story on 20/20 with Barbara Walters about Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder(ADD) that I realized she was talking to me!

I'll write more about my dealing with my ADD in future blogs articles.

P.S.  Thank God for Spell check.  Please forgive my poor grammar.  I don't have the patients to proof read.

I have ADD !!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment